A photo journal of sorts...
Our first electric bill…how does one proceed exactly? We ended up taking it to one of Wade’s employee’s for translation and direction.
Saudi logic at it’s finest. Expensive brains…
We spent many an afternoon in our local neighborhood ‘garden’. Us and the Iqi-ball.
Thursday’s and killing time before ballet started were often times spent in the DQ. The area of Riyadh dedicated to all the Embassies and the only place in Saudi (other than my home) where I can go abaya free. When the weather allowed, we’d do Thursday runs here, Wade and I switching off running and playing with the kids at the park. Al-Yamama was our favorite garden, seemingly the most tranquil spot in a city where tranquility was a beast to come by.
When we weren’t at the DQ, school or a mall, we were at home. I tried hard to make it a place we all liked and wanted to be, as we spent LOADS of time here. The treadmill did the trick when the weather didn’t allow an outdoor run or when Sophie had Iqbal. Lots of lego’s, lots of art projects and more shows than I care to admit too. The playroom was my favorite room in the house, it turned out so cute, and ended up being such a necessity, that I think I became emotionally attached to it. It was the first room I wanted to get unpacked and organized when we got to Dubai.
Bode’s takin’ down a bucket of OJ at our favorite breakfast spot, Appettite.
Date night. I think we got about 3 of those while in Saudi, this was our first. Steak Night at the US Embassy. We were invited by a diplomat friend of ours, Aaron Nuutinen. He was always so fascinating to talk to, he’d always take me right back to my university days when I was studying International Politics, it still makes me tick.
Afternoon date with daddy at the American School theatre. A movie! A true gift in the Kingdom!
A day at the Riyadh Zoo. Me thinks it a fate worse than death to be an animal at the Riyadh Zoo.
Waiting for our drivers outside Al Manahil, or ballet.
Found a rare copy of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue at Tamimi one day. I don’t know why they bother importing it…Seems to me to just raise the intrigue, no?
A picnic in the desert.
A stroll through the mall with a boy and his Wisp, during prayer time, everything shuttered up.
Waiting for our ride to school.
A field trip to the Zoo with Tessie’s class. Ice cream and Mercedes coach buses were missing from the field trips of my youth. Lord knows the tuition covers it! It was a treat to accompany her. Look at my little minority.
Saudi style.
An adventure to the Princess Souk with Oriwa and Debbie. Aisles and aisles of previously worn clothing that you can pick up for just riyals. The souk garnered it’s name from all the royal’s who would drop off all their party dresses to be re-sold after only wearing them once. There were some real treasures to be found! I picked up about 7 of the fluffiest, tackiest, sparkliest little princess dresses one could imagine. T couldn’t have been happier.
Once a month, My Little School had ‘Wacky Wednesday’, each time carrying a different theme. Here is Tess on “Dress like an animal” and “Dress like an emotion” day.
Once the weather warmed a bit, we spent many Saturday’s at the Arizona Compound. Or what I came to refer to as “good livin”. As far as Saudi was concerned anyway. We’d grab a swim lesson from Ms. Sonia, one of the loveliest, most charming women I have ever met, and then we’d visit the goats, play at the park or meet up with the Curtis’s for a play date.
Oning. Our Riyadh grandma and my saving grace. I am convinced I could not have done Saudi without her. She came to our house 3 days a week and helped me with everything under the sun. Her and Bode developed a sweet little bond. She’d walk in, in the mornings calling out, “Bode! Bode, where are you?” to which he would respond, “Ahhhh! Oning!!”.
Who in the world came up with this brilliant idea?
6 AM on Sabbath morning. With dad out of town. Don’t think I didn’t climb on the couch behind them.
Back seat driver. One of those things that was just my life for those many months but that I look back on now and think, “Wow. That was hard.”
Love this crazy man.
An example of what could come barreling through a round about at you thinking it had the right away. You know, Saudi logic.
Portfolio Day at My Little School. I love days like this as a parent. She was so tickled to show us everything she had been working on and we so proud to see it all.
The Saudi’s did in large part love and dote on the children. They are a very child/family centered culture as it is, but you throw in some blond hair and you can get just about anything you want.
Mending the desert tents. I assume for a wealthy family prepping to take to the desert for a caravan. They are still very much a desert people, it is where they recreate nearly every weekend.
An afternoon of swimming and slime on the front porch.
Makes me smile…
The day we had to say good bye to the Terry’s. Rough. So rough. We walked out their door, took a right and walked into ours when Tessa started crying and then me and then Bode. They were our family in Riyadh, in every definition of the word.
“Mahm! Hep me! I’m stut in the baya!”
One day we went bowling. And it was hysterical.
Just checking in at the gym on a Sunday morning. Lots of security precaution as it is affiliated with the US Embassy.
Bode wasn’t a fan of the thobe. Probably because it was short and he knows the Muttawa wear them short.
Saying goodbye to Ms Kiran. She was a wonderful, patient teacher during those difficult months. I came to really enjoy and admire her. Tessa too, obviously.
Celebrating our 10 year anniversary. When we got married on June 17th, 10 years ago I certainly didn’t foresee celebrating a decade in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, but I have to say, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. What a ride, we’ve covered a lot of ground together and I look forward to much more. Love this guy.
3 comments:
It was a good adventure, sister.
Wow Katelyn. You and your kids will have stories for the rest of your life! Thanks for sharing your adventure, laughter and tears. Hope all goes well with the birth of your new son. Love you!
So fun to look over that and hear about your experiences in a tiny nutshell!
Post a Comment