Saturday, November 10, 2012

Super Fly at Ski Dubai

Wade and I hadn’t been on a date since before he left for Dubai in May. Such is the life of an expat. The kids go everywhere. It’s not all fun and games people! Our new and dear friends offered to take our kids while we took an evening and checked out Ski Dubai, which has been on our to do list for since we got here. How can you not seize the opportunity to ski on a hill indoors? It did not disappoint. But not because of the skiing. Here are the the highlights, we laughed our heads off for two solid hours.

1. Our outfits. We make fun of people that dress like this at Snowbird.

IMG_3090

2. The blessed Arab man who was trying his damndest to get his Sorel snow boot into his ski bindings. After several failed attempts he called over some help and was told, “Oh this boot not work, you need new boot, ski boot.” To which the blessed Arab man replies, “What?! No.” And TRIES again! It was too much.

3. The expert only sign. We have never been such experts.

IMG_3079

4. I told Wade I wanted to take a photo and he responds, “Ok, I’ll stop down here on the ridge.” Then realizing his error, laughs hysterically all the way down to the “ridge.”

5. The rope tow. It too was for experts only.

IMG_3082

6. Our ill prepared wardrobe. Fleece gloves and Lulu Lemon Be Still pants apparently aren’t warm for artificially cooled 30 degree air.

7. The 8 turn slalom course.

8. The 45 second run.

9. The teenage Arab ballers throwing their tricks. They were as enjoyable to watch from their chairlift as the American version.

10. The edges on our ski’s. That we didn’t have. And our boots that we were swimming in. We have never appreciated our good equipment and Kjus ski suits more.

IMG_3075

Afterwards we went for Indian and partook of the best Chicken Tikka we have had to date. It was a great 4 hours. Turns out I still love this guy and that he’s still my favorite person to spend an afternoon with.

3 comments:

kimmalee said...

Abu Dhabi looks incredible. And I loved the picture of you and your kiddos in traditional dress. Awesome. Interesting to see the difference between the "palace" hotel and the mosque. What an amazing adventure.
I'm so glad you guys have friends you can trust with your kids! Sounds like a great date night. Glad you are experts so you could partake in the best fun.

Lindsay said...

Oh man! What I wouldn't give. Everytime I read your blog to Dan, he replies, "we've got to go visit them!" And this, this is a must!

Annika said...

I was laughing just reading it!